Friday, February 1, 2019

Grimaldus and Buddies Done!

I've done a few things differently for this crew.

For one, I painted one model per evening. I didn't spend more or less time on them; that was the plan.

Second, instead of using zenithal preshading as you're supposed to (e.g. use it as a value sketch to glaze colors over), I used it to sketch values, take pictures with my phone, and then use those pictures as reference while painting the model as usual. That way I don't lose the value sketch beneath layers of paint; it's always right there on my screen reminding me to push shadows deeper etc.

Finally, I used the opportunity to blend a lot using a cheap, large synthetic brush. Brush blending is something I want to get better at, so there. I don't know how much I learned through that but it wasn't easy initially and it got easier over time, so that's something.

As usual, I saw a few problems while taking pics. Notably, the little censer hands guy was very glossy and even had a glint of gold over the upper parts of his robe. I didn't notice this at first as I was painting at low light. It's glossy because I used inks to deepen shadows, and the gold shine is from a happy little accident I thought I had fixed. I'll fix it after writing this but I'm not taking more pictures for it, it's fine; I'll repaint the slightly gold parts and dull varnish the glossiness away.

Here are the pics of the sketches and the final models.

I gotta say, Grimaldus looks so much better with these legs. He's not only to-scale with the rest of my truescale army, but also significantly bigger than his buddies; as he should be.

Thanks for looking!

















1 comment: