Monday, February 20, 2017

More Tomb Blades Done!

I noticed quite a few issues on these guys after looking at these pics. I'll touch them up. I messed up the wash I used in the carved lines on many of these, and some lines are really bad.

They look great from afar though!

I also did not magnetize these completely. I magnetized the original three completely but they were very, very fiddly. Most things that you'd normally reach for when picking up the model were magnetized. I only magnetized the weapons this time.

Here are the pics, and thanks for looking!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

My Newly Pimped-out Workspace!

For the longest time I've been painting using a halogen lamp. It cast white light, it looked neutral to me. But it wasn't very strong. Also it was very hard to position; the goose neck is on the short side, and the base is very light, meaning that the lamp would tip over easily if I tried to position it better.

In addition to the terrible light source, streaming on Twitch was pretty difficult to do at times. The one webcam I have ( a Logitech C920) was terrible at focusing in such a low light. And it was really hard to position too. I have a tripod for it, but where do you put the webcam? Between my single light source needing to shine on what I'm doing, the webcam being able to capture it, and myself being able to see it too, something's got to give.

So here's my new setup!

I've been painting and streaming for the last few days and I'm really happy with this. Here's what's going on:

  • Two long, swing arm lamps. They are easy to move around and stay steady. I can position them right next to my head as I'm painting, if I want. And because there's two of them, there are no shadows to worry about.
  • Two Philips Hue White Ambient lightbulbs. I have these in the bedroom and love them, so that choice was a no-brainer. You can change their temperature (orange/yellow/white/blue and everything in between) and intensity. And because they're "smart", they can be controlled remotely. That means that I have a single switch that controls both (you can see it on the picture, just under the base of the right lamp) and I don't have to fumble to reach two light switches to turn them on and off. The same goes for setting up light intensity and temperature; the two bulbs are in perfect sync.
  • Another webcam! You can see it on the left lamp, taped to it with some black electrical tape. It's a Logitech C922. It captures great, especially in low light (although that's not a problem anymore). Since it's attached to the lamp I can move it around easily, it's never in the way. The light source is right there for it so it really makes a clearer shot compared to what I've been doing before.
  • My webcam is now to my left, not to my right. It makes sense since I'm right handed, so my hand was always in the way.
  • The old webcam is still on its tripod, but used as a face cam now.
I'm very happy with this setup. I'd like to spend some time watching my streams to optimize my camera and streaming settings. For example, I'd like to try streaming at 20 frames per second but offset that with a higher image quality. That seems like a good idea for streaming painting, but we'll see.

Hope this inspires you to reevaluate your painting environment. Thanks for looking!

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Truescaling and Reposing Adventures!

This is an SM post, although I've been working on my Necrons some more since the last post. I have a unit painted and ready for a photo session, although I'm waiting for weather to clear up first.

So, Space Marines! They squat and look silly. Kinda like my Necron Warriors, their legs need to be reposed, and they need it bad.

However, as you may or may not have noticed, Space Marines also have short legs. And no waist. Their hips extrude right from their rib cage. Maybe that's why they're squatting? I don't know.

Inspired by this blogpost, I got 1mm thick plasticard to extend their legs at the shin and at the thigh. I used the same plasticard at the waist.

As you can see, I used Milliput to try to fill up the gaps and make the extension smooth. That didn't work out well for me. The plasticard was hard to file compared to the plastic. I was very hard to achieve a flat surface, and as of right now, this model is still lumpy. Back to the drawing board.

Next up, I tried to make sure that the extension is as seamless as possible, I cut the legs at flat areas for the armor (as much as possible). I also made the plasticard bit smaller than the outer diameter of the armor, so I can use Milliput or something like that to fill up the gap and sand the extra material smooth.

This time things looked much better. I could use Milliput to properly pad the legs!

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out - for now. When I start painting, it will be much easier to see if the end surface is lumpy in any way. And while I really tried to sand things as best as possible right now, I expect to be stripping primer, sanding, and repriming when the time comes to paint.