Monday, July 18, 2016

Triarch Praetorians Assembled!

They're finally done! This took a long time to get started with.

I took some in-progress pics but lost them when my phone died, so these will have to do. Hopefully you can see the entire conversion. Here's what I did:
  • Modeled and 3D printed snake tails to replace legs
  • Cut all butt-balls off (the three spheres they normally have hanging below their back)
  • Removed the central spine column on the back. It will expose the sphere that is sealed in their back, and I plan to paint some nice OSL there, with the sphere casting light on the ribs around it.
Shoulderpads seem a bit spotty because they've been covered in liquid green stuff and sanded. The kit is really bad when it comes to seams on the shoulderpads between where the back and the front meet, so that took a lot of work. It will look great when painted.

Attaching the tails wasn't easy. This 3D printed plastic, whatever material is it, does not react to plastic cement. So I used green stuff to fill up the torso cavity, attached the tail into the green blob (there's a small notch at the end of each tail), and used superglue. It seems to be holding quite well.

I think I'll basecoat these and start painting immediately. I usually undercoat larger batches but I'm really looking forward to this.

Onto the pics, and thanks for looking!


  1. Lovely work, nice Tomb Kings vibe

    1. Definitely! I didn't think of it that way, but it is very appropriate.

  2. These look mighty awesome man! Your army has been one of the inspirations for me getting back into the hobby and its been a pleasure to look at what you have built so far. I may very well get your tails and use them myself on my Praetorians.

    If you are interested, check out my army progress here (in Portuguese):

    1. Thanks for the kind words!

      I checked out your stuff, love your Deathmark counts-as.