Friday, August 21, 2020

Vulpa Daemonica Warlord Titan

 Here's a conversion I've been working on, on and off, for months now... Getting bits, trying things out, changing my mind etc.

This is not final still - I want to try different carapace options before I commit to this one. I like what this does for the silhouette of the model - the carapace weapons aren't jutting out and drawing attention away from the melee and the agressiveness. But the weapons themselves - long range missiles - don't work thematically. Just aesthetically. I'll try vulcan megabolters and the gatling blasters too; those are more thematically appropriate, I just wonder about the aesthetic of it. We'll see.

Additional horns and muscles etc seem appropriate too thematically, but whenever I tried, it didn't work very well. It looked too damaged; this is a proud machine we have here. Bloodthirsters don't need battle damage or extra mutations to look daemonic, that sort of thing. I think it'll work.

So what we have here is:

  • A normal Warlord titan with an additional power claw sprue.
  • The head is made by taking that long helmet design that comes on the power claw sprue - not the Spartan looking one, but the other one - and simply not putting the front side of it on. Instead, I used a Bloodthirster's face, added some Bloodthirster horns (just behind the jaw looked right to me). The butcher's nails are just bass guitar wire.
  • The wrecking ball comes from a Skaven kit - the doom bell one. Don't throw away any of the chain bits from that kit - I cut them apart and rebuilt them so that the chain is wrapped around the warlord's fist.
  • The chainfist is two 3D printed Eviscerator blades, surrounded by a bunch of bits and gobbins to create the engine.
  •  The chains hanging around are model's right shoulder armor are just off the shelf miniature chains that I glued together in that pose with superglue - one chainlink at the time. It took forever and is still very fragile. Would not recommend.
  • The groin plate contains Bloodthirster bits.
  • There are additional bits around the model that are from various AoS Bloodbound kits. I don't know which ones since I got these by browsing ebay, it's really a treasure cove.
  • I used Reaver carapace weapons for the missile racks. The normal Warlord missile racks stick out vertically too much, they'd ruin the contour of the model. I don't want the only mandatory ranged weapon to be very noticeable.
  • The base is by Unreal Wargaming, with the Rhino and Land Raider by ZStu designs.

On to the pics and thanks for looking!



















12 comments:

  1. Magnificent pose and such movement and ferocity for a normally slow pondering chassis. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best warlord conversions I have yet seen. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I started painting it and I gotta admit, I'm more than a bit timid about doing it justice.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Very cool conversion. It must have taken ages to get right. That looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took about a week just to pose him. Blu-tac was a bit too weak to hold it together. I'd do something that looks good from one angle, move the model around to look from the other angles and something would shift.

      In the end, I just glued the legs together and pinned them to the base, knowing approximately how to torso would be positioned on top. That made things much easier to fine tune.

      Delete
  4. Hi. I didn't read all the comments so I don't know if it has been said before. Cracking work on that titan. As for carapce weapons, you could do a used vortex missile systems, that wouldn't take away from the motion. Leaves the smoulders as minimal as possible whilst still in line with asthetic of what what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that may work. I'll try it out. I also just received two Reaver carapace megabolters the other day; I think they'll work perfectly. They're small and look really cool. I'm not going to commit yet, it's all magnetized and easy to swap, but I think I have plenty of decent options.

      Delete
  5. Just saw your blog post on the FB Titanicus group and had to congratulate you. This is tremendous work! Easily the best Warlord pose I’ve seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really proud of this one. I hope my paint job does it justice.

      Delete
  6. An incredible piece of work - any novel ideas for the paint job?
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have to be novel, just done well :)

      Delete