Sunday, March 11, 2018

Converted Redemptor Dreadnought Done!

Finally! Lots of detail to paint on this guy.

I experimented a lot with airbrushing this time. All the reds and grey metallics are airbrushed. I didn't get it done all in one session even though I tried. The next day and with a fresh look, I noticed that some gradients weren't where I wanted them to be. I also painted the wrists/weapon bits red as an afterthought. It looks good, but it's a bit too close to having red as the dominant color. I can't think of a better color pattern though; it looked too plain otherwise, and there's only so much I can do with silver and bronze.

I'm proud with the front of the model. The fine print turned out OK, although I can't really read what I wrote on those scrolls. They're both random 6 letter Latin words I googled, but I forgot what were they. The cabling around his head turned out great, all the lights are the best I've painted, and I'm especially happy with the tiny Fleur de Lis on his left chassis plate. The crotch plate is blended gray to white to look like it's in shadow. One of the smoothest transitions I blended to date, and it's transitioning exactly where and as fast as I wanted it to.

After taking the pics I noticed that the model was a bit dusty, and I saw a few places that need to be touched up... As usual. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway! More pics.

Of course it's all magnetized and alternate weapon options are painted up:

Sad to see that my Leviathan is looking tame compared to the new Dread.

Oh and here's one behind the scenes. A pink metal ruler duck taped to the SM codex, holding the background print using magnets on the back.

Thanks for looking!


  1. Awesome looking Dread, your scheme is refreshing and bright and fancy. Very fitting for the Templars Regent.

    1. Thanks! Very happy with the theme and the name ;)

  2. Wow! That turned out fantastic!

    You're so right about replacing the sarcophagus with the head adding more dynamic posing to the model. The Contemptor Mortis head was a great choice for that.

    Magnetizing all the weapons was smart. With the latest FAQ you don't have to waste points on the stupid Icarus Missile Launcher.

    1. I wish there were a cap I could fit on the model in place of the Icarus Missile Launcher. Instead, I might have to make my own eventually.

    2. I couldn't find any bits that nicely covered that spot. I ended up just filling the entire gap with cheap putty and moving the Icarus launcher over to the left shoulder, where it was simple to magnetize, and looks kind of BattleTech.

  3. Brilliant. I love your choice of colour and execution.