Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Muhreens!

What is this!?


That's right, time to start something else. I'm not done with my Necrons, but my last two units are already converted, primed and partially painted. But that's a topic for another day!

The Fluff

I've been toying with the idea of starting a Space Marine army for a while now, but I've been hesitant to start. I don't like Marines much. Especially the goody two-shoes type like the Ultramarines or the Grey Knights. I like Dark Angels, because they're nuts. And Blood Angles, because they're nuts. But I think Dark Angels are nuts in a better way; because you could say that Blood Angels have some form of mental illness, whereas Dark Angels are pure, honest, down to earth nuts.

But the most nuts of them all are Black Templars:


They are space crusaders, out on a mission to kill anything non-human that moves. Or that has said or thought, actually or allegedly, anything they don't like. And they do so with a religious fervor that really makes little sense in context. In short, they're proper nuts. I love that. I love how they are supposed to be the good guys. It's stuff like that where 40k is at its best.

So, the fluff works for me. It's definitely an army I could fall in love with, and as someone who paints rather than plays, that's important. It keeps me inspired and driven, and makes me proud of the models I end up putting in the display case.

But the thing that really pushed me forwards starting this army is this music video. Don't listen to the music much, instead observe their costumes, motions, postures, and the environment:


I fell in love with it immediately. While Powerwolf is all about Catholic vampires and werewolves, the religious fervor and the evil they radiate is something I'd love to try to capture with my army. It's not a 1:1 match for Black Templar, but it's just different enough to give the army a unique spin.

Instead of filthy 12th century crusaders in space, my Black Templar will be evil and super-corrupt 17th century high clergy. Everything evil about the Inquisition in Space Marine form. Fanaticism, pride, opulence, self-aggrandizement. Gold, religious symbols, elaborate elegant garments, but in poses that communicate rage and disregard for anything good.

Will I pull it off? I don't know. It's a tall order, but I'm not going to miss this idea. I'm feeling so driven to do this, and I'm going to give it my best.

It's late and I'm tired, but I started working on my models already and I'll continue writing in the following days. I'm still experimenting with the color scheme, I'm learning things as I go, browsing the internet for inspiration and motifs I can incorporate.

Anyway, if you're still reading this, look forward to additional posts in the following days. And thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment