Sunday, June 7, 2020

Custodes Detachment 95% WIP

So I've had the urge to try out really messy, kinda grimdark metallics using tons of washes and inks to create interesting looking minis in very little time. What better way to do that than to paint some Golden Guys!

I was inspired by other painters - Bilewerk, Grimdark Compendium and Byronhowel first and foremost. I think it'll show how derivative these custodes of mine really are when you look at those people's work.

Anyway, the models are mostly done. I'm waiting for Forgeworld to reopen so I can get Custodes transfers and finish the Coronus; then I'll apply weathering, both on the vehicle and the infantry, and try and take high quality pics if I find the time.

For the gold, I used a 2:2:1 mix of Vallejo Metal Color Silver, FW Flame Orange, and Vallejo Metal Color Gold. After that basecoat, I used FW Sepia ink to paint in shadows and drybrushed Silver for the highlights until the model was mostly brown or silver. Then it's all Citadel inks; Drakenhof Nightshade, Druchii Violet, Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade are all heavily thrown around randomly.

For the green, I used Scale75 Thar Brown, Ardenes Green and Abyssal Blue, light to dark. Some Drakenhof Nightshade in the shadows.

The captain's cloak was a nice exercise in texturing. Turns out, it's not just easy, but it's even easier than carefully blending smooth transitions over folds and all that. You just hash lines, and if you push it too much here or there, you hash some more with a different shade of paint. It will never look patched up, you're just painting in more texture and it'll only look better for it.

Anyway, this has been fun. I'm not looking to paint any more Custodes soon, not with melee Primaris and new Necrons coming out, but maybe eventually. Thanks for looking!


















3 comments:

  1. I love your take on Custodes, the green is sublime. I also see some AT Titans in the background, what would your Custodes think of your Legio choice?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn dude, these look phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, and a cool, unique take on the Custodes. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete