Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Truescaled Space Marine Outriders!

A lot of stuff going on here! Let's get to it.



My Templar Regent (Black Templar descendant) chapter is composed of a bunch of truescaled marines, so bikes had to follow. I decided to get Forgeworld Outriders as they're significantly bulkier than normal bikes. Normal bikes would look too small for upscaled models.

In addition, I decided to extend the bikes. I didn't know exactly how I'd do it, but it had to be done. First things first, my marines have longer legs. Second, they have torsos; so unless I lean them forward to reach for the handlebars, they'd look too tall. It just seems like the right thing to do.

I cut the bike somewhat diagonally, right where a rider's leg would be. That way I could botch up the cut and it wouldn't be visible.




I used a few sheets of plasticard glued together to increase stability. After plastic cement has dried, the bike is a very, very solid piece. I threw milliput to fill up the gap and reconstruct the bike seat. The seat is the only thing visible after the rider is put on the bike. I've cleaned up things a bit since taking these pics but not too much.






The wheels fit great. I modeled special front wheels that fit Outriders, as they come with custom, resin front wheels.




Finally, I truescaled the riders themselves. There's three of them, all with magnetized hands. I assembled a plasma-focused loadout for now, but I have bits for other loadouts around in case I need them. Plasma looks cool though.

I converted one model to look standing on the bike, the others are moving. I think it'd make sense that bikers would zoom around, stop to shoot for a bit, and move on. You can't fire a plasma rifle onehanded while riding.














2 comments:

  1. Looking good. Too much work for me, but I am impressed. Are you going to do a whole army this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, great work. I’m not sure I could be bothered but that’s dedication! Look seamless, great idea and nice wheels!

    ReplyDelete